The Institute for Sociology of the Slovak Academy of Sciences was re-established in 1990 (originally founded in 1965), after 15 years of being incorporated into the Institute of Philosophy. The goal of the Institute is both to study contemporary problems of Slovak society and to deal with theoretical and methodological issues of sociology.
The Research Programme: The research projects of the Institute focus on various aspects of current political and social changes in Slovakia and East-Central Europe, such as:
- Local and regional aspects of social and political transformation
- Changes in social stratification, living strategies and identities
- The formation of civil society and citizenship
- Modernisation and democratisation processes and perception of social change
- The elite's role in democratisation processes
The Institute is a member of ISSP since 1995.